Saturday, March 21, 2009

I Am Soooooo Jealous!!!

There are a lot of things I envy about my sister JeanAnn. Her beautiful blond hair, her size "perfect" body, and her sense of style are just a few that come to mind...but Friday night she had something that I wanted even more: tickets to see New Kids On The Block!!! Ask anyone and they will tell you that in the late 80's/early 90's there was no bigger NKOTB fan than myself. I had the t-shirts, the pillowcase, the cassettes and VHS tapes. I bought every issue of Teen Beat and Big Bopper that had their faces on the cover. I even lowered myself to buying their comic books and watching their Saturday morning cartoon. I was in love! My favorite member was Joey...ahhh, he had the curly hair, the big blue eyes, and the adorable Boston accent. He was probably my first celebrity crush. I remember attending my friend's 13th birthday party at a local skating rink. Her parents told her she was getting a "big surprise" sometime during the party and I remember how psyched we all were because we thought her parents got New Kids to perform. The surprise ended up being something like a new bicycle and we all went home totally crushed. But back then I would have given anything to attend one of their shows and even today, I still think it sounds like fun. Jean called me from the concert when they sang "Please don't go, girl" and "You got the right stuff". She said it was one of the best concerts she's ever been to. Sniff, sniff...again, I am crushed..although it's a little easier to swallow when you're 30 and not 13! Oh well, maybe I'll see them perform in another 20 years when they're doing their "Nursing Home World Tour".

5 comments:

Unknown said...

They had a cartoon?

Maranda said...

Oh yes, they had a very cheesy Saturday morning cartoon. I don't think it was on very long...it was towards the end of their run. But I'm sad to say that I was a faithful viewer.

Anonymous said...

Jen and her friend Jadya went to see the NKOTB concert on Friday. I'll have to ask her how it was.

Unknown said...

I remember watching a Harlem Globetrotters cartoon when I was a kid, so I think I have a pretty good idea of the cheesiness you're talking about.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

LOL! I am just reading this. Hang tough Mer, hang tough.

OMG---tears are streaming down my face I am laughing so hard remembering the pillowcase. I. CANNOT. BREATHE.

I only vaguely remember you watching the cartoon. I had a slight crush on Jordan, who I now do believe is gay. I didn't know Jean was a fan, did JTT become the 6th member?