Thursday, October 25, 2012

PTO

Tonight I had my very first introduction into the wonderful world of the PTO.  I love my kids so much and love to get myself involved in their schools, events, fund-raising, etc.  However, tonight, I found myself with my mouth hanging open in shock as I walked into tonight's PTO meeting and in a school that has 400 plus students, there were 8 parents in attendance.  Whaaat???  A lot of people like to complain about our school and how things are being run but apparently very few care enough to actually take the time to get involved and have their voices heard.  It can be difficult to volunteer your time...I get it, we're all super busy, and we just want to relax in our down time, but if no one steps up, then nothing gets done.  And our kids will suffer for it.  It is hard work at times, but I've also met a lot of great people and made friends for myself and my children.  The PTO is a great organization and I beg more of you to get involved in your kids' schools....even the Preschools need our helping hands. If you are concerned with your children and their school careers, then I suggest you get yourself involved.  You will never go home regretting your hard work and volunteerism and the fact that you helped to better your child's school.  I am seriously considering writing a letter to our local newspaper in support of the PTO and urging parents to volunteer their time.  Maybe more people will get involved and just maybe at our next meeting we'll reach double digits. LOL, we will see!  Here's to a fun and exciting first year with my PTO family!  Let's do this, people! 

No comments: